This page highlights recent publications by GIRN members, organized by Peer-Reviewed Publications, Reports, and General Audience.
- Huang, Xi, and Cathy Yang Liu. 2019. "Immigrant Entrepreneurship and Economic Development: A Local Policy Perspective." Journal of the American Planning Association.
- Huang, Xi, and Cathy Yang Liu. 2016. "Welcoming Cities: Immigration Policy at the Local Government Level." Urban Affairs Review, 54, 1: 3-32.
- Hyde, Allen, and Michael Wallace. 2020. "Immigration and Labor Market Outcomes in U.S. Metropolitan Areas." Sociological Perspectives, 63, 4: 630-652.
- Hyde, Allen, Jeremy Pais, and Michael Wallace. 2015. "Immigration and Earnings Inequality in America's New Small-Town Destinations." Social Science Research, 49: 81-96.
- Kim, Anna Joo, and Ashley Bozarth. 2020. "Refuge City: Creating Places of Welcome in the Suburban U.S. South." Journal of Urban Affairs.
- Kim, Anna J., Josh M. Levin, and Nisha D. Botchwey. 2018. "Planning with Unauthorized Immigrant Communities: What Can Cities Do?" Journal of Planning Literature, 33, 1: 3-16.
- McDaniel, Paul N. 2018. "Book Review: Shifting Boundaries: Immigrant Youth Negotiating National, State, and Small-Town Politics (by Alexis M. Silver)." International Migration Review.
- McDaniel, Paul N. 2018. "Shared Humanity, City Branding, and Municipal Immigrant Integration Initiatives in the Southeastern United States." Southeastern Geographer, 58, 3: 250-281.
- McDaniel, Paul N., Darlene Xiomara Rodriguez, and Anna Joo Kim. 2017. "Receptivity and the Welcoming Cities Movement: Advancing a Regional Immigrant Integration Policy Framework in Metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia." Papers in Applied Geography, 3, 3-4: 355-379.
- McDaniel, Paul N., Darlene Xiomara Rodriguez, and Jordyne Krumroy. 2019. "From Municipal to Regional Immigrant Integration in a Major Emerging Gateway: Creating a Community to Plan a Welcoming Metro Atlanta." Papers in Applied Geography, 5, 1-2: 140-165.
- McDaniel, Paul N., Darlene Xiomara Rodriguez, and Qingfang Wang. 2019. "Immigrant Integration and Receptivity Policy Formation in Welcoming Cities." Journal of Urban Affairs.
- McDaniel, Paul N. and Heather A. Smith. 2017. "Receptivity's Construction in Public Schools: A Component of Immigrant Integration in an Emerging Gateway." Journal of International Migration and Integration, 18, 4: 1061-1081.
- Rodriguez, Darlene Xiomara, Paul N. McDaniel, and Matthew Tikhonovsky. 2020. "Human Services Providers’ Perspectives on Refugee Resettlement in the United States Before and After the 2016 Presidential Election." Journal of Immigrant and Refugee Studies.
- Rodriguez, Darlene Xiomara and Paul N. McDaniel. 2019. “Community-Based Participatory Research as a Tool for Improved Understanding and Practice of Newcomer Integration.” Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 23, 2: 3-19.
- Rodriguez, Darlene Xiomara, Jessica Hill, and Paul N. McDaniel. 2020. "A Scoping Review of Literature About Mental Health and Well-Being Among Immigrant Communities in the United States." Health Promotion Practice.
- Rodriguez, Darlene Xiomara, Paul N. McDaniel, and Gianni Bisio. 2019. "'FU': One Response to the Liminal State Immigrant Youth Must Navigate." Law & Policy, 41, 1: 59-79.
- Rodriguez, Darlene Xiomara, Paul N. McDaniel, and Marie-Dominique Ahebee. 2018. "Welcoming America: A Case Study of Municipal Immigrant Integration, Receptivity, and Community Practice." Journal of Community Practice, 26, 3: 348-357.
- Rodriguez, Darlene Xiomara, Kathleen Skott-Myhre, and Hans Skott-Myhre. 2020. "Shifting the Logic: Losing Children's Bodies." Journal of Progressive Human Services, 31, 1.
- Rodriguez, Darlene Xiomara, Sanjuana C. Rodriguez, and Banti C. V. Zehyoue. 2019. "A Content Analysis of the Contributions in the Narratives of DACA Youth." Journal of Youth Development, 14, 2.
- Huang, Xi, and Cathy Yang Liu. 2016. Welcoming Cities: Immigration Policy at the Local Government Level. Atlanta: The Center for State and Local Finance, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Kerr, Juliana, Paul McDaniel, and Melissa Guinan. 2014. Reimagining the Midwest: Immigration Initiatives and the Capacity of Local Leadership. Chicago, IL: The Chicago Council on Global Affairs.
- Kim, Anna Joo, et. al. 2016. Clarkston Speaks, The City Listens. Atlanta, GA: School of City and Regional Planning, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Kim, Anna Joo, et. al. 2015. Imagine Our Norcross: Planning for Immigrant Integration. Atlanta, GA: School of City and Regional Planning, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- McDaniel, Paul. 2016. Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Welcoming Cities: Lessons from Chicago, Dayton, and Nashville. Washington, DC: American Immigration Council.
- McDaniel, Paul N. and Rob Paral. 2020. A Global Welcome: Metro Chicago's Approach to Immigrant Inclusion. Chicago: The Chicago Council on Global Affairs. 92 pp.
- Kim, Anna Joo. 2017. "An Introduction to 'Immigrant Atlanta' and Beyond: A Tour of the Work of the Georgia Immigration Research Network." Atlanta Studies. July 25, 2017.
- Kim, Anna Joo. 2016. "Immigrant Community Studio and Working Group on Immigrant Labor." Atlanta: Center for Urban Innovation, Georgia Tech.
- Kim, Anna Joo. 2016. "Immigration in Georgia: The GIRN and 'Welcoming Cities' Forum." Georgia Tech Center for Urban Innovation. June 6.
- Kim, Anna Joo. 2016. "A Welcoming (and Sometimes Not) America: Immigrant Integration in the New South." Metropolitics. November 1.
- McDaniel, Paul N. 2015. "How a Cultural Institution Can Shape Receptivity in a New Immigrant Destination." The Migrationist. October 16, 2015.
- McDaniel, Paul N. 2016. "Shaping and Reshaping Identity on Immigrant and Refugee Receptivity." The Migrationist. June 17, 2016.
- McDaniel, Paul N. and Darlene Xiomara Rodriguez. 2020. "Immigration Integration." Public Health Post. March 12, 2020.
- McDaniel, Paul N., Darlene Xiomara Rodriguez, and Anna Joo Kim. 2018. "Creating a Welcoming Metro Atlanta: A Regional Approach to Immigrant Integration." Atlanta Studies. April 26, 2018.
- Rodriguez, Darlene Xiomara. 2016. "Welcoming America: A Movement to Embrace Newcomers." Insight Into Diversity.